Postal Service/Civil Service retirement


Q. I spent  three years as a postal service mail handler.  During the last year (2001),  I became permanent employee  I was a part-time FLEX before.  I resigned  from the Postal Service and took a private sector job.  I  was offered a GS position in 2007 . I have been in this position  from 2007 to the present. Can I count the three years of Postal Service time toward my retirement?

A. Only service for which retirement deductions were taken from your pay would be creditable for retirement purposes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply