Retirement Portability Act and prior service


Q. I left a Federal Reserve Bank for a position in the federal government. Public Law No: 106-168 permits former Federal Reserve Bank employees to receive credit in FERS if a former bank worker becomes a federal employee.  Am I eligible to receive service credit for retirement in FERS for my years of service at a Federal Reserve Bank?  Or, must my service have been with the Federal Reserve Board of Governors to qualify?

A. According to OPM, “Employees of the Board of Governors meet the 5 U.S.C. 2105 definition of employee. Employees of the Federal Reserve Banks do not so their service is not good under CSRS or FERS.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply