Annuity after separation


Q: I was a postal employee for 12 years, 1984-1996, and then was
involuntarily separated. I am now 61 and thinking about finances after retirement. Am I eligible for my USPS vested annuity – and if so, when can I begin receiving it? And how do I determine how much that annuity would be?

A: If you didn’t receive a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you’d be eligible for a deferred annuity when you reach age 62. The amount would be computed using the following formula: 0.01 x your high-3 on the day you left x your years and full months of creditable service. To receive that benefit, fill out a copy of Standard Form 3107, Application for Immediate Retirement, and submit it to OPM two months before your 62nd birthday. You can download a copy of the form, click on Find Form(s). Note: If you did receive a refund of your retirement contributions, you wouldn’t be eligible for any benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply