Deferred annuity


Q: I am a FERS employee with 20 years of federal service. My MRA is 57. I am 41 and I will have 30 years of federal service when I reach age 51,
at which point I plan on resigning from federal service. Will I receive a
full, unreduced annuity if I defer retirement until I reach the MRA of 57?
From what I can tell, I will have an unreduced annuity, but will not be
eligible for FEHB or the special retirement supplement. Am I correct in my

A: Assuming you don’t take a refund of your retirement contributions, having 20 years of creditable service would make you eligible for a deferred annuity at age 60 instead of age 62. That annuity would be based on the following formula: 0.01 x your high-3 on the day you left government x your years and full months of creditable service. As a deferred retiree, you wouldn’t be eligible to re-enroll in either the FEHB or FEGLI programs, nor would you be entitled to the special retirement supplement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply