Hybrid years and offset


Q: I started government service in 1973. I quit in 1985 and came back in 1986 as CSRS offset. I worked a second job from 1987 until the present. For many of these years my basis for Social Security was at or above the max. I retired from government service in 2009, and I receive the CSRS offset pension based on 32 years, and of course it is not being offset yet. I am still working that second job, and also, I am working full time as a contractor now. How much of my Social Security benefit will count to reduce my pension? I would expect that any post-2009 quarters would have no effect to offset. But the 1987 thru 2009 quarters are hybrid, where I worked both a government job for 85 percent of my full income, and a private job for 15 percent of my income. I expect to retire at age 63.

A: Your CSRS annuity will be reduced only by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply