Individual insurance


Q: I have worked for the Veterans Affair Department for the past 16 years. My husband retired there, and has us on his FEHB health insurance plan. With open season coming up, we would like to take individual plans. Will this mean I have to work five years before retiring if I do, or is that only for life insurance?

A: No, you won’t have to work five years. The only requirement is that you be enrolled in or covered by the FEHB program for the five consecutive years before you retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply