Social Security and retirement


Q: As a CSRS civil servant, when I retire Social Security informs me I will receive approximately $588 per month at age 66. Most of my Social Security benefits were earned before civil service. I understand that once I retire, my Social Security will be cut to around $325 per month. My wife is eligible for Social Security and is projected to receive approximately $1,150 per month. Due to CSRS retirement, when my Social Security is reduced to around $325, can I have my Social Security increased up to half of my spouse’s $1,150? That would put it back to approximately $575.

A: You could; however, because you are receiving an annuity from a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, that Social Security spousal benefit would be subject to the government pension offset provision of law. The GPO would reduce that spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply