Break in service


Q. I had 22 years of service when I resigned from the government in July 2010 at age 55. I am under the Civil Service Retirement System. I worked for Department of Agriculture from 1972 to 1978 and returned from 1994 to 2010. I would like to know when I can get some of my retirement monthly.

A. Assuming that you didn’t take a refund of your retirement contributions, you can apply for a deferred annuity at age 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply