Hiring a former term employee


Q. I was a former term employee with Army from Nov. 23, 2008, to Dec. 22, 2010. My last SF-50 was as GS-12, step 3. The Department of Veterans Affairs just offered me a position as GS-07, step 1. I thought they would have to pay me for GS-07, step 10 vice step 1?

A. No. However, you can ask to be hired at a higher step. An agency has no obligation to agree to that. But it may, based on your prior experience and earnings.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply