Going back on active duty


Q. I am currently working as a General Schedule employee, and I have bought back my eight years active duty. It is paid in full. If I go back on active duty, would I get that deposit paid back to me, or do I lose it?

A. It would only be paid back in you separated from the government and asked for a refund of all your retirement contributions. Doing so would void all future entitlement to a retirement annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply