Early retirement


Q.  I took early FERS retirement at age 59 to take care of a family member. That problem has passed. Can I withdraw my retirement and come back to work for the government?

A. While you can’t withdraw your retirement, you can apply for a job with the federal government. If you get one, your annuity would continue and your salary would be offset by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply