Combining retirements


Q: I retired from the Air Force with just more than 20 years. I began work as a temp employee GS-11 for two years, then term for four more. I am now 45 with just more than six years with CS. I am not a permanent employee, but am contributing to a FERS retirement. Is it possible to combine my AF and CS retirements and if so, how would I go about it?

A: You can get credit for your active-duty military service by making a deposit to the civilian retirement system and, at retirement, waving your military retired pay. To find out how much you would owe, complete Form RI 20-97, Estimated Earnings During Military Service, and mail it, along with a copy of your DD 214, Report of Transfer or Discharge, to the Air Force finance center. They’ll tell you what your earnings were. Take that information to your payroll office, along with a copy of your DD 214 and a Standard Form 3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment. Your payroll office will estimate what you owe and arrange for you to make a deposit all at once or over time if you decide to do that. Note: the RI and Standard Form are available at


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply