Parent's annuity


Q. I was told that I may be eligible for part of my father’s CSRS pension now that he is deceased and I have become disabled and cannot work. If so, where do I fill out the paperwork and who do I contact about this?

A. You were misinformed. Children are never entitled to a portion of their parent’s annuity. You would only have been eligible for a children’s benefit if, while you father was living, you were unmarried, disabled before age 18, incapable of self-support, and financially dependent on him.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply