Temp time


Q. Can I buy back temp time?  I was a temp from Dec. 8, 2008, until March 2010. My service computation date  is Dec.  8, 2008. I am not getting ready to retire, but I was told that I could buy back my temp time to change my SCD.  Is this true?  If so, what do I need to do?

A. Since you SCD is set on the date that you began your temp time, you appear to have gotten credit for leave purposes. However, you cannot get credit for that time for retirement purposes. Nondeduction service performed after Jan. 1, 1989, isn’t creditable for either retirement eligibility or in an annuity computation


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply