Home leave


Q. I am a FERS employee who will be retiring from an overseas base.  I have a balance of 10 days home leave on the books. When I retire, can I use those days by leaving 10 days early back to the U.S.?

A. Probably not. According to DOD Subchapter 1260.4.4.3, home leave may be used “only during a period of service abroad when it is contemplated that the employee will return to service abroad upon completion of the home leave period or upon completion of an assignment in the U.S.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.


  1. Greetings, I am a FERS employee who will be retiring from CBP in about two years. I worked preclearance in Canada as a manager and was not able to take my home leave. I was not allowed to rotate back to the states when my tour was up and had to stay at my preclearance post for 11 more months. I have email records requesting to be allowed to take my home leave since I was not allowed to move to my new domestic assignment.
    I have 96 hours of unused home leave.
    Do I have any options?

    • Unfortunately, I have no idea. If any of our readers do, please respond and I’ll post your answers on the site.

Leave A Reply