Military retirement


Q. I have been retired for 19½ years and have been working with the civil service for the last 15½ years.  Can I include my military time in my FERS retirement?  What are the implications?

A. You would only be able to combine your active duty military service with your civilian service if you made a deposit to the civilian retirement system and, at retirement from your civilian job, waived your military retired pay. The amount of the deposit would be 3 percent of your military base pay plus accrued interest. If you made that deposit and waived your retired pay, those 19.5 years would increase your civilian annuity by 19.5 percent.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply