Q. I retired (took an early out with 27 years of service) in 1997 at 52 under CSRS. I have been working in private industry since 2000. I understand that if I went back to work for the government, my CSRS pension would be deducted from my salary? What about hard to fill jobs, such as low-paying jobs with the Army and Air Force Exchange Service in Europe?

A. While every agency has limited authority to hire retirees to meet critical needs and allow them to receive both their annuity and the full salary of a position, the Defense Department has broader authority to do that. To find out which jobs might fit your needs, start by going to You can also check with agencies that have offices near where you are living, They may be able to direct you to activities here and abroad.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply