Transfer of benefits


Q. I am a full-time regular postal employee with 17 years and 15 years of military service for a combined total of 32 years of federal service. The mail processing facility where I work is scheduled to be closed. I am 53 years old and just short of retirement age. If I transfer to the Department of Veterans Affairs will my FERS contributions and accumulated annual and sick time transfer with me? I expect my service to be continuous with no break in service. If I’m not offered an early retirement or buyout options, I stand to lose these benefits. I do not want to receive any kind of separation pay if I can help it.

A. Yes, if you move to another federal agency, they will transfer with you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply