Military to federal service


Q. I served in the Navy from 1973 to 1982 and received an honorable discharge. Also, I received 10 percent disability. I am considering entering federal service this year. Will my active-duty time count for benefits (vacation, retirement, etc.)?

A. The Office of Personnel Management’s Vets Guide is the definitive source of information about the benefits available to members of the military who join the civilian federal government. Go to and scroll down to Service Credit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply