Credit for military time


Q. I served four years in the Army and was medically retired. I am now a federal employee and am accruing four hours of leave per pay period. Because my retirement was not deemed “service-connected,” only the year that I spent in Iraq counts toward my service computation date. I am no longer receiving retirement payments because my Veterans Affairs Department disability is greater than my retirement amount. If I buy back my military time, will all of the years count toward my SCD and retirement?

A. For nonretired members, full credit for uniformed service (including active duty and active duty for training) performed under honorable conditions is given for leave accrual purposes, and for retirement purposes, provided that a deposit, as required by law, is made to the retirement fund.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply