Pay for time off while injured


Q. I am a Postal Service employee (regular rural carrier). Some time back, I sustained a back injury on the job. It was approved through the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs for necessary treatments and I eventually had surgery on my back. I subsequently returned to my job and began having back problems again. OWCP approved treatment/office visits again. I received some shots into my back to try to relieve the pain. How do I get paid for the time off I have to take for doctor’s visits and treatments when they occur periodically (as needed) and are often for one day?

A. You can only be paid for that time if you are on sick or annual leave. Otherwise, you would be on leave without pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply