Social Security while working


Q. I started work for the federal government in 1999 at age 54, which gives me 13 years of service as of November of this year. I had worked in the private sector for 24 years. I am now covered under FERS. I would like to continue working until 70. Would I be able to file for Social Security payment either at 62, 66, and 70 while still working?

A. Based on what you’ve told me, you are either age 67 or close to it, so retiring at age 62 is out of the question. However, because you have reached your full retirement age, which is 66, you could apply for a Social Security benefit now and receive both it and the salary of your position.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply