Survivor annuity


Q. I’m 71 and have been working under FERS since 1991. I started collecting Social Security benefits when I turned 67. My husband worked for the federal government under FERS since 1991, as well. He retired three years ago and collected Social Security benefits. He passed away in November, and Social Security benefits got cut off. Am I entitled to any of his benefits, like a percentage?

A. To find out what your survivor benefit would be and how to apply for it, go to


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply