Special retirement supplement reduction


Q. I retired from the Postal Service on Jan. 1 at age 59 with 30 years under FERS. I got a job right away mainly with intentions of making enough only to survive until the retirement process was complete (six to eight months). I will probably exceed the maximum allowable for Social Security supplement by May. Am I correct in understanding that this will follow me into next year even if I change my job situation?

A. Your special retirement supplement will be adjusted when the Internal Revenue Service’s records are matched with the Office of Personnel Management’s. This means the reduction usually won’t occur until the year following the one in which you exceeded the annual Social Security earnings limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply