VSIP list?


Q. I was just wondering if there is a list of people in civil service who are being offered a buyout but for some reason can’t take it. I have 40 years in service, and if they could qualify for my job, can we exchange their buyout for my job? I work for FISC out of Norfolk, Va., and I haven’t heard of any buyouts being offered through them yet. I was just wondering if someone needed another 6-10 years in service and was being offered a buyout because of downsizing or whatever, then maybe we could swap. If so, how do I go about applying for this or putting my name on a list of some sort to see who might want to exchange with me?

A. There is no such list nor would it be legal to do what you want. Buyouts are designed to encourage  workers in specific job series, grade levels and locations to resign or retire. If they don’t, other management actions may be required to achieve that goal, such as a reduction in force. Unless you are occupying a targeted position, you are ineligible to receive a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply