Keeping paperwork


Q. I retired from the Postal Service in August 2010. Do I need to keep all the paperwork, such as Forms 50, etc., from my 26 years of employment? I am assuming the Office of Personnel Management has all the records.

A. Your employment files would have gone to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. However, if you are a belt-and-suspenders guy like me, you’ll hold on to that paperwork. More than once, I’ve needed to pull something out of my Official Personnel Folder and would have hated to go through the time and trouble of asking the NPRC to do it for me.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply