Excess contributions


Q. I have over three years of CSRS excess contributions. I plan on retiring Sept. 30 with 46 years total. Is there a form I submit to request these funds?

A. No form is needed. When you retire, the Office of Personnel Management will tell you the amount of your excess contributions and offer you a choice: Either accept a refund of those contributions, or purchase additional annuity that isn’t subject to the 80 percent limit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply