CSRS Offset


Q. I am a retired federal employee covered under CSRS Offset. I am 65 and have been receiving Social Security payments since I was 62. I will be submitting a request for withdrawal of my Social Security and pay back all the Social Security that I received to date. I will be applying for new Social Security after the process is complete. My pension was reduced when I first received the Social Security payment. Once I receive the new higher Social Security payment in the future, would my pension be reduced more?

A. At age 62, your annuity was permanently reduced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. It won’t be reduced any further.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply