Retirement lump sum?


Q. I worked for the Department of the Army as a civilian from 1966 to 1972. I do not remember if I took my retirement as a lump sum when I left. How do I find out if I am still in the program and what my payments would be if I went on retirement?

A. Go to, click on Official Personnel Folders, and follow the directions for making an inquiry. If you did leave your contributions in the retirement fund, your annuity at age 62 would be calculated using the standard CSRS formula: 0.015 x your highest three years of average basic pay x 5 years of service + 0.175 x your high-3 x all remaining years and full months of service. If you did take a refund of your retirement contributions when you left, you wouldn’t be entitled to anything.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply