CSRS and Social Security


Q. I started my career in the federal government in April 1980. I am 57 years old. I have over 32 years of service and am eligible to retire. Prior to beginning my career as a public servant, I worked a number of jobs and had already earned my 40 quarters for Social Security. Am I subject to the CSRS Social Security Offset?

A. Since you are a CSRS and not a CSRS Offset employee, your annuity will not be affected at age 62 by any Social Security benefit to which you may be entitled. However, because you will be receiving an annuity from a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, your Social Security benefit will be reduced if you have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply