Special retirement supplement


Q. I know when I retire, I may only receive a partial FERS annuity payment until the Office of Personnel Management finalizes my paperwork. Does this delay also apply to the Social Security supplement? Will I receive all, part or none of the supplement until my retirement package is completed?

A. You won’t receive the special retirement supplement until your annuity is finalized. Then you will receive both the amount of annuity that you were underpaid and the full SRS from the time your annuity began. OPM has been working to increase the amount of the interim annuity payments and to see if it can include some of the SRS.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply