Suspending FEHB coverage


Q. I’m a retired federal employee. When I turn 60 and become eligible for Tricare coverage, can I suspend my Federal Employees Health Benefits program coverage then, or do I have to wait until open season to suspend the coverage?

A. Because you are a retiree, you can suspend your coverage to use Tricare at any time. Just call OPM’s Retirement Information Office at (888) 767-6738 to get the suspension form.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply