Retroactive survivor benefits


Q. My mother is 62 and just filed for her survivor benefit. My father passed away when she was 60. We did not know that she could have filed for survivor benefits at that time. Is there any way that we can obtain the money lost during those two years as it is from my father’s earnings?

A. She will receive all the survivor annuity payments that were due her from the first month in which she was eligible.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply