Service computation date


Q. I have worked in federal civilian service since September 2001. When in college, I worked several summers for a federal government agency. My service computation date does not take this into account. Can I get a record of how much time that was, and if it doesn’t count toward my creditable service date, is there a way to purchase this time to add it retroactively?

A. Nondeduction service performed after Dec. 31, 1988, isn’t creditable for either eligibility or computational purposes, nor can you make a deposit to get credit for it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply