Lump sum and bankruptcy


Q. Can you receive a lump-sum payment from FERS? I am receiving $750 per month. I would like to pay a Chapter 13 so that I can move ahead. My spouse is employed and will work an additional 12 years. We have the means to continue with very little difficulty.

A. No, you can’t.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply