Total federal earnings


Q. I have worked at a number of federal agencies over the past 35 years. My current leave and earnings statement only reflects my earnings and CSRS contributions at my current agency. How do I get the true total earnings I have had over my entire federal career? Is there a form or office I can contact. What is the correct procedure? I am planning to retire at the end of this calendar year.

A. I checked with the Office of Personnel Management, and here is what they had to say:

“First, the employee must have all of their SF-50s from each agency. If they do not, they need to contact the Federal Records Center in St. Louis, TEL: (314) 801-9250. When they call, they will hear a recording telling them how to get their records.

“Second, the employee will need to call the Retirement Headquarters to receive a form that they will need to fill out and return. (TEL: 724-794-2004) or try the toll-free number, 888-767-6738. They need to keep in mind that the retirement office is open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Eastern time.

“Third, when this form is received, the employee should attach copies of their SF-50s and return to Retirement Headquarters. That way, the Retirement Headquarters can look up the information from the SF-50s rather than sending information around to various agencies prolonging the process.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply