Disability retirement


Q. I am trying to find if my CSRS retirement can be changed to reflect a disability retirement? I retired three years ago because I could not cope with my inability to hear and understand telephone conversations and other issues in dealing with people. I am being treated for these health problems.

A. No, it can’t. To have been considered for disability retirement, you would have had to apply for it within one year of the date on which you separated from the government.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply