Military buyback


Q. I am on involuntary recall as a reservist to active duty. I am also a federal employee who bought back my four years of active-duty time. Upon my return to my federal position, would I be allowed to sell back the time I was mobilized to active duty if I was getting differential of pay from my federal agency? I am also retiring from the reserve and would like to know if I could retire from my federal position with 15 years and not meet the  age requirement.

A. Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for your period of active-duty service. No, you can’t retire if you don’t meet the age and service requirements.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply