Spousal Social Security


Q. I will turn 62 in September. My husband is drawing $2,000 a month in Social Security.  I have retired from the Postal Service with a monthly pension of $1,803. Can I draw off his Social Security, as well as my pension?  I was a CSRS employee, but I also have 40 credits, which will enable me to draw a small amount of Social Security on my own. Can I defer my Social Security and draw on his at 62?

A. While you will be entitled to a spousal Social Security benefit, that benefit will be affected by the government pension offset. The GPO will reduce that spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity. Your earned Social Security benefit will be affected by the windfall elimination provision. The WEP reduces the Social Security benefit of anyone who receives an annuity from a retirement system where he didn’t pay Social Security taxes and has fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply