Law enforcement retirement


Q. I was a federal air marshal under FERS and paid into the law enforcement officer special retirement plan, five years, and into the Thrift Savings Plan. I have since left the federal government (not retirement age yet) and have had my TSP transferred into a 401(k). I was wondering how to transfer my LEO special retirement that I paid into, or where to get more information on these benefits.

A. You can get a refund of the contributions you made to the retirement fund by completing Standard Form 3106, Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions, which is available at Click on Find Form(s). Instructions on how to transfer the money are included on the form.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply