Military buyback documentation


Q. I am considering retirement sometime after 2014. In 1994, I bought back three years of active military time. The only documentation I can find of doing this buyback is a receipt from my federal agency for the amount of the check I wrote. Is there a way to get better documentation of this buyback so my retirement paperwork goes smoothly?

A. Yes. You can write the Office of Personnel Management, Retirement Operations Center, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045 and ask for a statement that you’ve made the deposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply