Survivor benefit refund?


Q. When I retired, I selected a full survivor annuity for my spouse. She recently passed away. What happens to those funds that were withheld from my annuity to provide her survivor annuity?

A. If you are asking if you are due a refund, the answer is no. However, once you have notified the Office of Personnel Management of your spouse’s death, your annuity will be increased to the level it would have been had you not elected a survivor annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply