Survivor benefits


Q. If my mother worked 44 years with the Defense Department and died without retiring, will my brother and I receive her pension since my father passed away three years ago?

A. While you won’t be entitled to a pension, you would be eligible to receive the contributions she made to the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. You’ll need to call the personnel office where your mother worked so that they can advise you on how to proceed.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply