Military time status


Q. I bought back active-duty time as a FERS employee and a reservist. Afterward, I was involuntary mobilized and served enough years as a reservist to receive an active-duty retirement (sanctuary program). I have since than returned as a FERS employee. What happens to the previous military time I bought back when I was a reservist? Am I able to keep it without having to waive military pension since it was bought back when I was a reservist?

A. No, your entitlement to military retired pay changed the game. If you want to get credit for your periods of active-duty time, you’ll have to make a deposit for that new period of service and, at retirement, waive your military retired pay. If you don’t waive that pay, the deposit you previously made (and any future deposit) will be returned to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply