Special retirement supplement


Q. I have 30 years of federal service: two years in CSRS, in which I did not get a retirement refund; four years in the Coast Guard, where I made a deposit for my time; and 24 years under FERS. When I retire under FERS at my minimum retirement age, 56, will the two years under CSRS be considered FERS and used toward my special retirement supplement calculation?

A. Yes, because those two years were automatically converted to FERS time. If you had worked under CSRS for five or more years, they wouldn’t have been. Instead, you’d have a CSRS component in your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply