Health coverage, refund and re-enrollment


Q. I am 57 and worked for the Postal Service from 1981 to 1997. I took a refund of my contributions when I left. Am I eligible for health benefits? If I took a position now with the USPS, could I get reinstated?

A. No, you aren’t eligible for health benefits. If you went back to work for the government, you could enroll in the Federal Employees Health Benefits program (or re-enroll if you were enrolled in the FEHB program during your previous period of employment).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply