Survivor annuity


Q. My husband’s nephew worked with civil service for approximately 10 years and resigned in 1995. He passed away Nov. 14, 2011. Can his wife receive the contributions he paid into FERS?

A. She needs to call the Retirement Information Office at the Office of Personnel Management. The number is 1-800-878-5707. She’ll need to give the benefits specialist the former employee’s full name, date of birth, Social Security number, name of agency worked for and approximate dates of employment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply