Annuity reduction with part-time work


Q. I am now retired from federal civil service under CSRS with 33 years of service. I have contemplated working a part-time job, nonfederal employment, and maybe becoming self-employed but wondered if I will have my annuity reduced due to additional earnings. Also, is there a maximum dollar amount I am allowed to earn annually beyond what I am paid in my retirement annuity before my retirement is reduced?

A. As long as you aren’t re-employed by the federal government, you can make as much as you want without it affecting your CSRS annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply