Military buyback


Q. I first came on as a civil service employee under CSRS from 1981 to 1984, then went on active duty for three years. I cashed out my CSRS when I left. After my tour ended in 1984, I came back to civil service as a FERS employee. I am now within 10 years of retirement. Can I “buy back” those CSRS years I cashed out toward my FERS annuity?

A. Yes. Just fill out a copy of Standard Form 3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment (downloadable at, click on Find Form(s)) and send it to OPM, Retirement Service and Management Group, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. They’ll tell you how much you owe. Then, if you decide to redeposit the money, including accrued interest, you can work out a repayment plan with your payroll office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply