Service computation date


Q. I am currently on active duty. Prior to that, I was employed in the federal Bureau of Prisons. What would be my service computation date: the date I began as a civil servant or the date I came on active duty?

A. For retirement purposes, your SCD would be the date you entered on duty as a civilian employee of the federal government. Your period of active duty wouldn’t be included in determining your length of service unless you returned to a federal civilian position and made a deposit to the retirement fund for that period of active-duty service.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply